Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Musings on Mailboxes

This posting is late today. I've been preoccupied with the weather and the results of a reckless driver. Another thing that has me slightly off-kilter is that, once again, a snow plow has taken out my mailbox! This happens at least once a year, and since we've had a gazillion snowstorms this winter without mailbox murder, I thought I was free of the plow curse. Hah!

I could be vengeful, but that's self-destructive, so, I'm going to think happy thoughts. Who needs a mailbox when all you get is junk mail anyway? And snowplows aren't really evil. Actually I'm quite happy to have them clearing the roads. See, happy thoughts!

There's one book that I know of that has a snowplow as a main character--Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton [JP BUR]. Katy was originally published in 1943--an oldie but goodie.


Virginia Lee Burton was born in Newton Centre, MA in 1909. She lived in the area for her first 8 years, but the memories of snowy winters must have remained strong. While you're at it, look for Burton's other classic, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel [JP BUR].

No comments:

Post a Comment