Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Stuck on Food Memories


Yesterday I mentioned the new book we recently purchased, America's Best Lost Recipes [641.5973 AME], and it got me to thinking about some sweet things from my past such as Devil Dogs! The Devil Dogs of today pale in comparison to the memory of the Devil Dogs of my youth. Those I remember as a rich devil's food cake with creamy filling in the middle. The ones you get today are composed of a favorless pale brown cake. It's supposed to be chocolate, but if it is, I must be missing some taste buds! The cream filling is sugary glop with an oily finish. If you miss the Devil Dogs of your youth, you can recreate the flavor, if not the hotdog shape. Here's a link to Smitten Kitchen's Devil Dogs Ding Dong or Hostess Cake.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how bad commercial snack cakes are for you, but if you need a refresher, read through Twinkie, Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated into What America Eats by Steve Ettlinger [641.308 ETT]. You know that cream filling I mentioned above? Well Twinkies have a filling, too. Here's what Ettlinger has to say,
Shortening's also essential to providing some slippery fat in the Twinkie filling, where it is whipped up with water, sugar, corn syrup, and a host of emulsifiers and thickeners. (That famous creamy filling has no cream in it, of course, which is why it is spelled "creme.")

To see what goes into today's Devil Dog, visit the site, Food Facts. Did you read through the ingredients? If so, I need say no more to convince you to look for alternative recipes for resurrecting the tasteful memories of your youth--right?

No comments:

Post a Comment