Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, April 04, 2008

Poetry Friday--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't know if King was intentionally a poet, but parts of his speeches could very easily be written out as poems. Take this from his last speech, given 40 years ago last night,
I don't know what will happen now.
We've got some difficult days ahead.
It doesn't matter with me.
Because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind. Like anybody,
I would like to live a long life.
Longevity has its place.
I'm not concerned about that now.

I just want to do God's will.
He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.
And I've looked over.
I've seen the promised land.

I may not get there with you.
But I want you to know, that we,
as a people will get to the promised land.
I'm happy, tonight.

I'm not worried about anything.
I'm not fearing any man.
Mine eyes have seen the glory
of the coming of the Lord.




Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment