Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Poetry Friday--Favorites

Since this is National Poetry Month, I thought I'd share my favorite poem with you. It's short--a haiku by Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)--
shell of a cicada
it sang itself
utterly away

I've also seen it translated as
a cicada shell
it sang itself
utterly away

I'm partial to the first. I think it presents a stronger image with the emphasis on the shell that is left behind. I'm also quite taken by the idea that the little cicada sang so intently as to disppear! Nice. And done with just nine words.

To read more about Basho, look for The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa [895.6 ESS].

For more favorite poems, you can visit the Favorite Poem Project: Americans Saying Poems They Love site, or borrow either of these two books from our collection:


Americans' Favorite Poems: The Favorite Poem Project Anthology. [808.81 AME]

Poems to Read: A New Favorite Poem Project Anthology. [808.81 POE]

What's your favorite poem? Feel free to use the comments section below to let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment