Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tartan Day

Yesterday I took a vacation day and spent it at the State House in Concord viewing our legislators at work. When the day opened at 10:00 am, I found that it had been designated "Tartan Day" in recognition of NH's Scottish heritage and the Scottish roots of many of those in the NH House. The ceremony started with bagpipes and dancing. Many of the legislators wore their family tartans in one form or another--from plaid pants, to ties, to kilts. If I had only known, I would have worn my Ferguson plaid tie. My maternal grandfather was a Ferguson, so I have a bit of Scotland in my blood, too.

I could spend some time in the library's genealogy section and research my ancestors. Here are just two books I'd consult:

Baxter, Angus. In Search of Your British & Irish roots: A Complete Guide to Tracing Your English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish ancestors. [929 BAX]

Jonas, Linda, and Paul Milner. A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Scottish Ancestors: How to Find and Record Your Unique Heritage. [929 JON]

If you have a "clan," and you don't know what your tartan is, check out this site where you can find a ton of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment