Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

World Vegetarian Week, Part 2--Vegans

A Vegan Food Pyramid

Yesterday I posted about vegetarians. Today, I'm addressing a more "radical" type of vegetarian, the vegan.

Vegans have a bad rap--they're lumped together with "dirty hippies" or "crazy" PETA people! Not so, there are many perfectly normal people who have chosen to eat foods that have no connection to animals. I don't usually quote actresses, but Alicia Silverstone made sense when she said,
I feel better about myself as a person, being conscious and responsible for my actions and I lost weight and my skin cleared up and I got bright eyes and I just became stronger and healthier and happier. Can't think of anything better in the world to be but be vegan.

So, if you want to explore becoming a vegan, visit Vegan Action. You can also consult the American Dietetic Association's New Food Guide for North American Vegetarians (vegans can use the alternatives to animal based products). Then, come borrow one of our vegan cookbooks (we have several) where you'll find advice and hundreds of recipes:

Kramer, Sarah. La Dolce Vegan!: Vegan Livin' Made Easy. [641.5636 KRA]

Moskowitz, Isa Chandra. Veganomican: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. [641.5636 MOS]

Be proud of yourself for eating well!

No comments:

Post a Comment