Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Cheatin'

I'm cheating today and lifting an idea from the online book trade newsletter, Shelf Awareness. They mentioned a Library of Congress website called, NLS Other Writings: Say How? A Pronunciation Guide to Names of Public Figures.

I wish I had known about this site a long time ago! I can't tell you how many times I've had a "discussion" about author J.K. Rowling's name! And, just yesterday I was asked how to pronounce another writer's name, and I had no clue! (By the way, Rowling rhymes with bowling.)

So, I'm going to slide right into a short list of works by writers whose names some people have difficulty with:

Brzezinski, Zbigniew. The Choice: Domination or Leadership. [327.73 BRZ]

D'Aulaire, Ingre. Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths. [J 292 DAU]

DePaola, Tomie. 26 Fairmont Avenue. [J B DEP]

Goethe, Johann Wolfgang. Faust. [832 GOE]

Hajdu, David. Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Fariña, and Richard Fariña. [920 HAJ]

Hey, I never promised that every posting would be witty and insightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment