Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Welcome!

A big welcome to one of our newest American citizens, David Ortiz. You may know Ortiz by his other name, Big Papi.

Yesterday Ortiz took an Oath of Citizenship at a ceremony at the JFK Library.

Do you know what is in the Oath of Citizenship? Here's the text:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;

that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and

that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

Becoming a U.S. citizen requires passing a test. Here's a sample of the types of questions a prospective citizen would be required to answer correctly:

  • How many states are there in the Union (the United States)?

  • How many changes, or amendments, are there to the Constitution?

  • For how long do we elect each Senator?

  • Who becomes President if both the President and Vice President die?

  • What was the 49th state added to our Union (the United States)?

  • In what year was the Constitution written?

  • How many times may a Senator or Congressman be re-elected?


  • For more information about citizenship go to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website. Or, better yet, go to the library shelves and browse the 323.6 section.


    To learn more about our newest citizen Red Sox slugger, borrow Big Papi: My Story of Big Dreams and Big Hits [B ORT].

    Congratulations Mr. Ortiz. We're proud of you!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment