Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Mental Game

I suppose some of you have been watching the Olympic games over the past week or so. Despite the obvious physical skills, there is also the mental game played by most, if not, all of the athletes who participate.

Today, in Beijing, a new Olympic sport makes its debut--BMX racing. To my way of thinking, there's a whole lot of mental acuity required for this event! In case you want to learn a little more about the sport, the magazine, Bicycling [MAG BIC], has an extensive online article called BMX Going Big. To view some photos of the Olympic trials, go to this USOC page. And for a live action look, there are a gazillion videos on YouTube. Here's one:



If BMX is now an "acceptable" sport, I'm sure there will be more books written about it in the coming years. Right now we only have one children's book in our collection devoted to the subject, BMX Bikes by Kathleen W. Deady [J 629.227 DEA], although we have quite a number of books on cycling, and dirt bikes.

This is from a report of the first day's BMX Olympic activity:
In the women's edition, Anne Caroline Chausson of France took the lead in the three-run seeding race with a best time of 36. 660 seconds, beating two-time reigning BMX world champion Shanaze Reade of Britain to the second place in 36.882.

"Mentally, I was prepared, but then I did it (crashed) and I washed out. I don't know why I fell. We looked at the video. It's just one of those things. That's BMX," explained Reade.

So much for the mental game! I'll look at the topic again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment