Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, August 08, 2008

Poetry Friday--Cats and Marge Piercy

I don't have to tell you I like cats, and sometimes, I think it would be really nice to be one--except when I think about killing mice and eating moths. I thought I'd share part of a great poem by Marge Piercy called "The Cat's Song." It captures the essence of the cat as you can see from these final lines:

Come I will teach you to dance as naturally
as falling asleep and waking and stretching long, long.
I speak greed with my paws and fear with my whiskers.
Envy lashes my tail. Love speaks me entire, a word

of fur. I will teach you to be still as an egg
and to slip like the ghost of wind through the grass.

Read the rest here.

Piercy is also a novelist and we have several of her novels in our collection. We currently have only one of her books of poetry, The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme [811 PIE], although she has published more than a dozen. Piercy is also represented with an essay in Why I'm Still Married: Women Write Their Hearts Out on Love, Loss, Sex, and Who Does the Dishes [306.8723 WHY].

I don't know how I could have missed Piercy's memoir, Sleeping with Cats, but I did (some cat person I am!). Learn more about Piercy at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment