Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Monday, August 11, 2008

See you next week!

I'm off to Maine for a vacation! I'll be back next Monday. If I take photos of anything of interest, I may post them here, but I'm not going to promise anything! So, have a great week. Keep reading!

Before I go, here are two books I recently read that I'll recommend you look for: I Am Madame X: A Novel by Gioia Diliberto [F DIL]. This novel is based upon an actual work of art. American painter, John Singer Sargent, painted a portrait of a woman known as "Madame X." Madame X was really Virginie (nicknamed Amelie) Avegno Gautreau, a spoiled society woman. The portrait, exhibited in Paris, was looked upon as scandalous since it showed the strap of the woman's gown slipping off one shoulder. Mon dieu! I enjoyed the look at the transported New Orleans family and their insinuation into French society, and, the portrayal of the utter emptiness of Amelie's life. But, even better, I followed up that book with a quick look into one by Deborah Davis called Strapless: John Singer Sargent and the fall of Madame X [B SAR]. I found this "real" story was even more interesting than the fictionalized version. I hope to go back to the book sometime to give it a more thorough reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment