Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, June 19, 2009

Poetry Friday--The Poetry of Jim Harrison


Do you know the poetry of Jim Harrison? If not, you should! I looked up the word "lusty" on Dictionary.com, because that's a term that came to mind when thinking of Harrison's work. The word is defined:
–adjective, lust⋅i⋅er, lust⋅i⋅est.
1. full of or characterized by healthy vigor.
2. hearty, as a meal.
3. spirited; enthusiastic.
4. lustful; lecherous.


Isn't it funny, but all four definitions apply!

I think there's something for everyone in The Shape of the Journey: New and Collected Poems by Jim Harrison [811 HAR]. Here's a small poem from the section entitled, "Geo-Bestiary,"

I

I can hear the cow dogs sleeping
in the dust, the windmill's
creak above thirty-three
sets of shrill mating birds.
The vultures fly above the corrals
so softly the air ignores them.
In all of the eons, past and future,
not one day clones itself.

The New York Times has Harrison as one of its "Featured Authors," so check it out if you're looking to learn more.

Did you know that Harrison is also a novelist? His latest novel is The English Major [F HAR], which is reported to be very funny! (It's on my 18 mile long list of books to read!)

The Poetry Friday Round-Up is being hosted this week at Carol's Corner.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 PM

    Jim Harrison is a poet who, in spite of uncanny vision, untamed imagination, and incredible insight, manages to not only make himself understood, but to touch places in the head and the heart that resonate for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:33 AM

    I am new to Harrison, but what I have learned is amazing to me. He has touched my mind and my heart with his reading of his poetry on PBS, and from learning about his life. A true individual which our world is so lacking anymore.

    www.westernamericanindianart.com

    ReplyDelete