Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Snow!

Photo by Bacon sandwich

I was so surprised to wake up Sunday morning and find that almost six inches of snow had fallen overnight. I figured we'd get a dusting, but I hadn't expected to have to spend 20 minutes scraping off my car! It's much too early!

But, no matter when they come, snow and ice storms sure are pretty! You can capture the beauty through a photograph, but don't forget you can also paint, make a collage, or write a poem.

In our art section, we have a book called Painting the Effects of Weather: Sunshine, Shadows, Clouds, Snow, Ice, Mist, Wind, Fog, Rain, Seasons and Light by Patricia Seligman [751.4 SEL]. Seligman says,
Anyone who has tried to capture on paper or canvas the speed of racing clouds, the sparkle of sunlight, or the iridescent blue of a summer sky, will know how difficult it can be. The Weather, in all its guises, is not an easy subject to paint, but it has to be one of the most exciting and inspiring, not only for the landscape artist but for painters of almost all subjects and in all styles.
You may want to look for the picture book version of Robert Frost's poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. It's stunningly illustrated by Susan Jeffers [J 811.52 FRO].

Here's a shorter poem by Frost that delights me, I hope it does you, too.
DUST OF SNOW

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.
Found in Frost: Selected Poems, Prose and Plays [811 FRO]

No comments:

Post a Comment