Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Oscar-Time Is Coming!

The nominations for this year's Academy Awards were announced on Tuesday. We have some of the nominated titles for Best Picture in our collection already, as well as books that some of the films were based on!

The nominated titles for Best Motion Picture of the Year are:

Avatar.

The Blind Side. The film is based on Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis [796.332 LEW]


District 9.

An Education.

The Hurt Locker. [DVD HUR]

Inglourious Basterds. [DVD ING]

Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire. Yes, that is the film's title! No, we don't have it yet on DVD, but we do own the novel [F SAP].

A Serious Man. This will be released next Tuesday on DVD; we have it on order.

Up. [DVD UP]

Up in the Air. We have the original novel, of the same name, by Walter Kirn [F KIR].

4 comments:

  1. Just saw THE HURT LOCKER. Whoa - what a brilliant movie, but so difficult to watch. Compelling and horrifying, and definitely Oscar-worthy! I can feel myself avoiding INGLORIOUS BASTERDS just because Tarantino has been such an adolescent lately - I don't trust his name on things anymore. Really want to see A SERIOUS MAN - thanks for the heads-up about it coming out on DVD.

    Gosh. I love movies. Wish I could find someone to pay me to watch them. Not review them. Just watch them. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hurt Locker is on my coffee table right now. I hope to watch it this weekend.

    Yes, wouldn't it be great to watch movies without having any other obligation!

    I'm curious, what's your all-time favorite movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - one all time favorite? That's hard. Right now, off the top of my head, here are a dozen (there would be a different list, I think, each day):
    NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
    THE DRESSER
    VERTIGO
    ELLING
    WINGS OF DESIRE
    ROMAN HOLIDAY
    CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
    THE GRADUATE
    BREAD AND TULIPS
    PERSUASION (the version with Amanda Root)
    TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
    MAN ON THE TRAIN

    How about you? What are your favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My all-time favorite is Enchanted April;
    after that I have a whole bunch more including:
    Room with a View
    The Commitments
    Love Actually
    (I'm a big Hugh Grant fan)
    Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being
    Born Yesterday (the original)
    Billy Elliot
    Babette's Feast
    The Seventh Seal
    An Ideal Husband
    Midnight Run

    ReplyDelete