Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, May 07, 2010

Poetry Friday--Emily Dickinson's Garden

Judith Farr, in an online article, "Victorian Treasure: Emily Dickinson's Herbarium" states, "It is not widely known that our great American poet Emily Dickinson was a practiced gardener before she became an accomplished poet." To this I say, Hogwash! Have you read any of Dickinson's poems? They're full of flowers, bees, and other garden-y things.

I don't believe Dickinson could have justified spending hours outdoors observing such things unless she was gardening. I could be wrong...

In any case, the article above introduced me to the exhibit Emily Dickinson's Garden: The Poetry of Flowers, which is jointly sponsored by the Academy of American Poets and the New York Botanical Garden. It's almost worth a trip down to the Bronx!

Instead of traveling, though, I can borrow Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson [811 DIC], Kate Greenaway's Language of Flowers [635.9 GRE] (Greenaway and Dickinson were contemporaries), or Garden Flower Folklore by Laura C. Martin [398.242 MAR].

Since it is now May, I thought I'd end with this Dickinson poem:
MAY-FLOWER.

Pink, small, and punctual,
Aromatic, low,
Covert in April,
Candid in May,

Dear to the moss,
Known by the knoll,
Next to the robin
In every human soul.

Bold little beauty,
Bedecked with thee,
Nature forswears
Antiquity.
Head over to Random Noodling for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Kurious! I love the mix of flowers, poetry, and Emily.

    You might be interested in checking out my debut YA novel, FORGET-HER-NOTS, (Greenwillow/HarperCollins, 2010) for ages 12 & up. It's about the language of flowers come magically to life. Flower lovers of all ages are loving it.

    You can find out more at www.amybrecountwhite.com.

    Thanks and happy spring!

    -Amy (Brecount White)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Amy! I'll be sure to write up an order card for Forget-Her-Nots! (Since forever one of my favorite publishers has been Greenwillow. I always seem to like their books. And, I'm extremely jealous that you have published with them!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this show at the Botanical Gardens sounds so tempting. I have a niece-ish (cousin's daughter) living in Brooklyn who I just might have to pay a visit to....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, May, and flowers are such a comforting combination!

    Laura Evans
    all things poetry

    ReplyDelete