Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, May 21, 2010

Poetry Friday--A Fortuitous Mistake


I was in the children's room browsing the shelves of poetry books and I came across Bicycles: Love Poems by Nikki Giovanni [811.54 GIO]. What is this doing here? It's not a children's book! I know why it was there, it had a bicycle on the cover, and some inattentive person (not a slam, we all get distracted at times) immediately thought "children's room" and shelved it there. But, in pulling it off the shelf to take back out to the adult shelves, I looked through it once again. It is a great little collection!

Here's a favorite:
I Am a Mirror

I am a mirror

I reflect the grace
              Of my mother
The tenacity
              Of my grandmother
The patience
              Of my grandfather
The sweat
              Of my great-grandmother
The hope
              Of my great-great-grandfather
The songs
              Of my ancestors
The prayers
              Of those on the auction block
The bravery
              Of those in middle passage

I reflect the strengths
              Of my people
              And for that alone
I am loved

Also in the book is "We Are Virginia Tech," a poem written after the Virginia Tech student tragedy of April 16, 2007. Here is Giovanni reciting the poem at the Virginia Tech memorial service held the following day:



I hope this hasn't left you too sad...

Cheer up with the Poetry Friday Round-Up being hosted by Laura Salas.

2 comments:

  1. "We are better than we think and not quite what we want to be."

    Thanks for sharing both of these strong, powerful poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave poem Nikki wrote. I'm so glad we have poetry to turn to in these times.

    Laura Evans

    ReplyDelete