Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Poetry Friday--"Thursday"


Maple Mills, Dillon, S.C. Soarbar Seris, has worked off and on in the mill for 5 years. Winds. Gets 70 cents and up. "Recon I'm about 14." Didn't look it. Has worked more nights than day time.
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/nclc/item/ncl2004000510/PP/


I was so taken by the photos I found from the National Child Labor Committee Collection at the Library of Congress that I have devoted this week to photographer Lewis Wickes Hine and his work. I'll finish off the work week with this poem by William Carlos Williams. I think it goes well with the photo above. I can imagine how after working 5 years in a mill, a 14-year-old would have given up on dreams.
Thursday

I have had my dream--like others--
and it has come to nothing, so that
I remain now carelessly
with feet planted on the ground
and look up at the sky--
feeling my clothes about me,
the weight of my body in my shoes,
the rim of my hat, air passing in and out
at my nose--and decide to dream no more.

from American Poetry: The Twentieth Century Volume One: Henry Adams to Dorothy Parker [811 AME v.1]
The Poetry Friday Round-Up is being held at Picture Book of the Day. Have a great weekend, and keep dreaming your dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Very moving, Diane. The photos by Lewis Hine you've been posting are striking.

    ReplyDelete