Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Poetry Friday--Boris





I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone that I'm a cat person, but somehow, I missed seeing Boris by Cynthia Rylant [YA 811.54 RYL] when we first got it back in 2005. I came across it on the shelves just the other day, and of course, I love it! Boris is a cat that Rylant found at a humane shelter.
I tried not to look.
I have never been able to go to a humane shelter.


"Never," is one of those words that often come back to haunt a person! Boris, and his sister, ended up going home with Rylant as you probably guessed.

Here's the beginning to poem 6
I heard them last night,
Boris,
that pack of dogs that occasionally
runs through the neighborhood.
With my window open,
I heard them barking
and grunting
and sniffing
and panting
just outside,
on the trail of who knows what,
but glad it wasn't you,
Boris, glad it wasn't you.
How did you know
to stay in?

To read the rest, you'll have to borrow the book. (Or buy it, I believe it's still available in paperback.) Readers will find that Rylant is a keen observer of cats, and, a fine poet!

Visit with Liz Scanlon at Liz in Ink for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen this -- delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete