Friday, October 08, 2010

Poetry Friday--"Mine Host of the 'Golden Apples'"

Apple picking season is nearing its end, and to celebrate, I thought I'd share this old-fashioned poem taken from a book published in 1929, Our Holidays in Poetry, compile by Mildred P. Harrington [808 HAR]. It's found under the heading "Arbor Day."

MINE HOST OF THE "GOLDEN APPLES"
by Thomas Westwood (1814–1888)

A goodly host one day was mine,
A Golden Apple his only sign,
That hung from a long branch, ripe and fine.

My host was the bountiful apple-tree;
He gave me shelter and nourished me
With the best of fare, all fresh and free.

And light-winged guests came not a few,
To his leafy inn, and sipped the dew,
And sang their best songs ere they flew.

I slept at night on a downy bed
Of moss, and my Host benignly spread
His own cool shadow over my head.

When I asked what reckoning there might be,
He shook his broad boughs cheerily:--
A blessing be thine, green Apple-tree!
This week the Poetry Friday Round-Up is found at Biblio File. Have a great fall weekend!

Photo by KaCey97007

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this one, Diane. I don't think I've ever seen it. My favorite stanza is:

    And light-winged guests came not a few,
    To his leafy inn, and sipped the dew,
    And sang their best songs ere they flew.

    Love that partying image!

    ReplyDelete