Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Impossible!

There is a social networking site called You Are What You Read in which you are asked to share the titles of five books that "shaped your life."

Wow, what a question! I can't give you a definitive list of five favorite books (too hard to narrow down the list), let alone five that shaped my life (really? shaped my life?). An impossible challenge!

Here's five six seven of my favorites (I have many more), but realize, these are always subject to change. Some are books that I read long ago, and if I went back to read them today, I'd probably be horrified that I thought so highly of them!

Barth, John. The Sot-Weed Factor. I could never read this one today, it is more than 700 pages long, but I loved it way back when.

Garcia Marquez, Gabriel. One Hundred Years of Solitude. [F GAR] I'm not much of a magical realism fan, but this book won me over.

Hurston, Zora Neale. Their Eyes Were Watching God. [F HUR] I found this one compelling!

Kluger, Steve. Last Days of Summer. [F KLU] A simple, feel-good book that I recommend to everyone!

Lee, Harper. To Kill a Mockingbird. [F LEE] This title is probably on everyone's list--and for good reason!

Norman, Howard A. What is Left the Daughter. [F NOR] This is a recently published title that I loved. I can't exactly pinpoint why, other than the excellence of the writing.

Robinson, Marilynne. Housekeeping. [F ROB] Robinson's writing is superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment