Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, December 24, 2010

Poetry Friday--"The Donkey's Song"

In the children's room we have a lovely Christmas collection by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Tomie dePaola, and with musical arrangements by Adam Stemple. It's called Hark! A Christmas Sampler [J 808.8 YOL]. It contains traditional Christmas carols, as well as holiday stories and legends retold by Yolen. But, my favorite aspect of the book is Jane Yolen's original poems that touch on everything related to the celebration of Christmas.

I'm drawn to a poem called "The Donkey's Song" for it's simply stated truth--we depend upon our domestic companions and their unquestioning contribution to our well-being:
I was cradle and crib
Before the manger.
I was guardian and guard
Against all danger.
I was rocker and rock,
I was God's own cart,
I was breath against cold,
I was His strong heart.
Have a great holiday, and don't forget to thank your companions, including the furry ones, for their love.

This week the Poetry Friday Round-Up is being held at A Year of Reading.

1 comment:

  1. "I was God's own cart" is such a beautiful line. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete