Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Poetry Friday--"Merry Christmas"


This week and next I'll be featuring Christmas poems. The following one is found in the children's collection, The Random House Book of Poetry for Children: A Treasure of 572 Poems for Today's Child, selected by Jack Prelutsky [J 811.008 RAN]:
Merry Christmas
by Aileen Fisher

I saw on the snow
when I tried my skis
the track of a mouse
beside some trees.

Before he tunneled
to reach his house
he wrote "Merry Christmas"
in white, in mouse.
Don't you love the childlike simplicity of this poem? It captures all the innocence and faith of children who are willing to believe that a mouse could actually spell out a greeting!

Head on over to Jama Rattigan's Alphabet Soup for the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

Photo by Doug McG

6 comments:

  1. The last line makes the poem. I can picture the little one reading this poem wishing he or she could read mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aileen Fisher is great. My youngest child was speaking a made-up language to me this morning. The idea of other languages is so potent and present for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love the simplicity, the delight. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that ending & the cleverness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's simple but pure. Thanks for sharing. I might have to check out that collection from the library for my own little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her book, Do Rabbits Have Christmas, where this poem is also found. The whole thing is delightful! Thanks for sharing.

    (Won't let me post my comment in the usual method this morning!)

    ReplyDelete