Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, December 17, 2010

Poetry Friday--"Stocking Song on Christmas Eve"


Today's poem is by Mary Mapes Dodge (1830-1905). Dodge is best known as the author of Hans Brinker, or, the Silver Skates [J DOD], but she also edited the children's magazine, St. Nicholas for Young Folks. Mapes wrote many poems for children, including the one below from 1904. It is found in Our Holidays in Poetry, compiled by Mildred P. Harrington [808 HAR], published in 1929.
Stocking Song on Christmas Eve

Welcome Christmas! heel and toe,
Here we wait thee in a row,
Come, good Santa Claus, we beg
Fill us tightly, foot and leg.

Fill us quickly ere you go,--
Fill us till we overflow,
That's the way! and leave us more
Heaped in piles upon the floor.

Little feet that ran all day
Twitch in dreams of merry play,
Little feet that jumped at will
Lie all pink and white and still.

See us, how we lightly swing,
Hear us how we try to sing,
Welcome Christmas! heel and toe,
Come and fill us ere you go!

Here we hang till some one nimbly
Jumps with treasures down the chimney.
Bless us! how he'll tickle us!
Funny old Saint Nicholas.

Amy at The Poem Farm is today's hostess of the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

5 comments:

  1. Fun song, Diane! I hadn't heard it before. Thanks for sharing it. I liked the Flaubert quote, too. Now I'm off to read your original poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly me...I found it! All of the kitties threw me for a moment! A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet words! I love those singing stockings! And the photo is a wonderful match! Now where am I missing your original poem? A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard this poem before, but I love it! Stockings are one of the simple joys of Christmas. I love how the kids are wishing for overflowing stockings and extra piles of goodies on the floor. The author knew kids well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem. Such emotion, pulled from a bunch of footwear!

    ReplyDelete