Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Poetry Friday--Cat Poetry


We have several books of cat poetry in our collection, one of which is A Little Book of Cat Poems compiled by Sara L. Whittier [808.8 LIT]. And since I haven't shared a cat poem with you in a while, I thought I'd share this one with you today:
Pussycat Sits on a Chair
by Edward Newman Horn

Pussycat sits on a chair
Implacably with acid stare.

Those who early loved in vain
Use the cat to try again,

And test their bruised omnipotence
Against the cat's austere defense.
Several books of cat poetry are found in the children's section, including I Am the Cat by Alice Schertle [J 811 SCH] and Cat Poems selected by Myra Cohn Livingston [J 811 CAT].

The Poetry FURRday Round-Up is being held today at The Poem Farm. Meow!

5 comments:

  1. My office kitty, May, always enjoys your cat poem posts. (I do too.) Mrrowwww....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cat poems - and that photo too! Such stunning eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats are wonderful poem-subjects! I was always afraid of cats when I was a child, but now we have five, and I appreciate their "austere defense." Mew! A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gretch10:10 PM

    That cat is no longer that little...I'm having trouble remembering her that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen is right, that cat now weighs in at about 15 lbs.--the only thing light weight about her is her brain power.

    ReplyDelete