Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Poetry Friday--"Grotesque"


Just in time for Halloween, here's a rather creepy poem about flowers!
Grotesque
by Amy Lowell

Why do the lilies goggle their tongues at me
When I pluck them;
And writhe, and twist,
And strangle themselves against my fingers,
So that I can hardly weave the garland
For your hair?
Why do they shriek your name
And spit at me
When I would cluster them?
Must I kill them
To make them lie still,
And send you a wreath of lolling corpses
To turn putrid and soft
On your forehead
While you dance?

from Amy Lowell: Selected Poems [821 LOW]
The Poetry Friday Round-Up is being hosted by my alter-ego at Random Noodling.

Photo by Auntie P.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes!

    (great choice of photo, D!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, how gothic! Love that!

    And send you a wreath of lolling corpses
    To turn putrid and soft

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, good and grotesque! Love all the dark imagery bookended by the soft sounds of "Why do the lillies" at the opening and the playful line, "While you dance?" at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ladies, Amy Lowell has become one of my favorites since finding her poem "September, 1918" two years ago. I posted about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what Martha said! Perfect Halloween poem, Diane.

    ReplyDelete