Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, October 14, 2011

Poetry Friday--Weird? (Me, Too!) Let's Be Friends


As a child did you feel a little weird--perhaps a bit out of sync with the rest of the kids in your world? Performance poet, Sara Holbrook, must have felt that way, too, because she wrote Weird? (Me, Too!) Let's Be Friends [J 811.54 HOL], a book of poems for kids.

In the "Introduction" she says,
When I read a poem about hopping popcorn or a lonely flagpole and think--Yeah...I can see that. I can identify--that is a good poem to me.
I hope that kids can identify, too--I know I can, especially with a poem like,
Walking on the Boundaries of Change

Day by day
a tightrope,
walking on the boundaries
of change.
One step--
firm, familiar.
The next step--
shaky, strange.

Some friends will dare danger,
mock or push each step.
Some friends
knock your confidence.

Real friends
form a net.

The poems are accompanied by commentary and poetry prompts encouraging kids to write their own--a nice idea.

From here head over to Fomograms for the Round-Up on this Poetry Friday.

2 comments:

  1. "Real friends form a net." That's what I want my grandkids to know. Thanks for this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I will look into getting that book.

    ReplyDelete