Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Monday, December 12, 2011

When Reindeer Get Hot

The Journal of Experimental Biology recently published an article on the way reindeer cool down. They are so well clad in fur, that they sometimes tend to get overheated, especially when they're making an extended trip round the world!

Not being a scientist, the article sounds reasonable to me, but it does make me wonder if perhaps the reader's leg isn't being pulled when the reporter tells us that the head researcher's name is Arnoldus Blix. Hmmm, that sounds suspiciously close to the name of one of Santa's reindeer, Blitzen, which Wikipedia tells us originally was Blixem, then Blixen. Coincidence?

And then, when Blix explains that the reindeer are trained to run on a treadmill, I'm led to believe that I may have been had!

Who cares? Not me, I love the idea of reindeer! Especially reindeer on a treadmill! And I like these holiday books about reindeer, too:

Brett, Jan. The Wild Christmas Reindeer. [JP BRE]

Foreman, Michael. The Little Reindeer. [JP FOR]

Stainton, Sue. Christmas Magic. [JP STA]

No comments:

Post a Comment