Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Poetry Friday--Our Thoughts Are With You

News has come that poet Mary Oliver is having major health issues. We want to wish her all the best in her battle with illness!

After a bit of sad news, it is time for a little cheer. I've decided to share this seasonal and joyous poem by Mary Oliver, taken from Winter Hours: Prose, Prose Poems and Poems [811 OLI]
The Storm

Now through the white orchard my little dog
          romps, breaking the new snow
          with wild feet.
Running here running there, excited,
          hardly able to stop, he leaps, he spins
until the white snow is written upon
          in large, exuberant letters,
A long sentence, expressing
          the pleasures of the body in the world.

Oh, I could not have said it better
          myself.


Join Myra at Gathering Books for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up!

Photo by Bill Hails.

3 comments:

  1. Great poem! Thank you for honoring us with a bit of Mary Oliver today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that writing with exuberant letters-just as it is in the snow & with little dogs. I am sorry to hear about the illness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite line is the last one:

    Oh, I could not have said it better
    myself.

    ReplyDelete