Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, March 09, 2012

Poetry Friday--"The Black Finger"

The Black Finger
by Angelina Weld Grimke

I have just seen a beautiful thing
Slim and still,
Against a gold, gold sky,
A straight cypress,
Sensitive
Exquisite,

A black finger
Pointing upwards.
Why, beautiful, still finger are you black?
And why are you pointing upwards?

This poem is performed by Renee Joshua-Porter on the audiobook, I, Too, Sing America Three Centuries of African American Poetry [J 811 I]. It presents a strong visual image in very few words. I see gravestones carved with fingers pointing heavenward, or perhaps Michelangelo's "Creation of Adam." What do you see?

Visit the heavenly Myra at Gathering Books for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I think I picture winter tree branches against a twilight sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention that--did you visit The Write Sisters' blog?

    ReplyDelete