Friday, June 01, 2012

Poetry Friday--Strawberry Time!


If you live in Windham, you know that tomorrow is the Friends of the Library of Windham's biggest day of the year--the Strawberry Festival and Book Sale. For more than 25 years, FLOW has held this event that has grown into a giant community celebration that attracts visitors from all over the area. As part of the celebration, I try to find books and poems about strawberries. This year I found this lovely poem by British poet, Helen Dunmore:
Wild Strawberries

What I get, I bring home to you:
a dark handful, sweet-edged,
dissolving in one mouthful.

I bother to bring them for you
though they’re so quickly over,
pulpless, sliding to juice

a grainy rub on the tongue
and the taste’s gone. If you remember
we were in the woods at wild strawberry-time

Read the rest here.

Before gearing up for strawberry shortcake, stop by Carol's Corner for the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

Photo by mickydelfavero

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm. This makes me hungry! You need to head over to Jama's blog-- she attended a strawberry festival last week and has a gorgeous strawberry poem today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there this morning, but I had trouble posting a comment (operator error!). 'Tis the season for strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the poem - the combination of the current moment and the memory is nice.

    ReplyDelete