Friday, December 28, 2012

Poetry Friday--"Where Go the Boats?"

We're closing out the year, and a memorable one it has been, if not always a happy one.

The following poem by Robert Louis Stevenson is from A Child's Garden of Verses [J 821 STE]. Its simplicity seems to sum up all of life! I think, therefore, it's a good way to end the year.

Where Go the Boats?

Dark brown is the river,
    Golden is the sand.
It flows along for ever,
    With trees on either hand.

Green leaves a-floating,
    Castles of the foam,
Boats of mine a-boating--
    Where will all come home?

On goes the river
    And out past the mill,
Away down the valley,
    Away down the hill.

Away down the river,
    A hundred miles or more,
Other little children
    Shall bring my boats ashore.

I'm heading over to Carol's Corner for the Poetry Friday Round-Up--hope to see you there!


Illustration by Jessie Willcox Smith.

2 comments:

  1. Tight, punchy little poem - excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it, Matt. I didn't grow up with A Child's Garden of Verses, but I'm discovering it now. Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete