Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

In Our Butterfly Garden

Recently, there have been three hummingbird moths sharing the large butterfly bush in our garden (planted and maintained by the members of the Windham Garden Club). Last year was the first time I had ever seen one. I managed to get this photo.


Aren't the transparent wings amazing? If I had gotten a shot from the side, you would have seen the proboscis (tongue) unrolling into the flowers to sip up the nectar.

Just last week, I found an NPR blog post about butterfly moths, which I thought should be shared. Click here.

Make sure you visit the Library to see our butterfly garden and to perhaps borrow one of the books on pollinators we have in our collection. Butterflies and Moths by David J. Carter [595.78 CAR] might be a good one to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment