Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Poetry Friday--"A Shower"

Summer is heat, hopefully balanced by a little rain. I love the summer rain and it's scent on the hot pavement or dry ground. Did you know there was a name for that scent of rain on the soil? It's "petrichor." The exact chemicals that make up the scent have been studied (does that surprise anyone?), click here to learn more.


For today, here's a little poem by Amy Lowell that describes a summer shower:
A Shower

That sputter of rain, flipping the hedge-rows
And making the highways hiss,
How I love it!
And the touch of you upon my arm
As you press against me that my umbrella
May cover you.

Tinkle of drops on stretched silk.
Wet murmur through green branches.

from Amy Lowell: Selected Poems [821 LOW]
Amazing how a simple little love poem can evoke such powerful images and feelings. Amy Lowell is one of my favorites, so this is the second Friday in a row that I'm featuring one of her poems!

Live Your Poem is the place to be this Poetry Friday. Head down to Alabama, virtually of course, and see what's going on this week in the world of online poetry.

Illustration courtesy openclipart.

10 comments:

  1. Petrichor. Seriously?? I had no idea. I do love that "sputter of rain." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sputter of rain" is, indeed, nice. I also like "tinkle of drops."

      Delete
  2. "Petrichor" - who knew? It's so elegant for something so elemental. Thanks for the Lowell poem - I have to read more of her work now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like her work. She seemed to be enamored of color, and she also wrote about works of art. Look for "Venus Transiens."

      Delete
  3. Oh my, such a lovely poem ("wet murmur through green branches"... sigh). And such a lovely word for one of my favorite scents! I will definitely have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my email folders, I have a file called, "Awesome words." Petrichor is in there. Twice, actually, once along with pluviophile, which is a lover of rain.

      Delete
  4. 'Petrichor' ... learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing the link to the science behind it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we librarians like to do--throw in lots of informational resources.

      Delete
  5. It is indeed a love poem. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Subtle, but unmistakable.

      Delete