Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, November 06, 2014

Poetry Friday--Poetry Writing for Kids


In our children's room is a book in the "Poet's Workshop" series: Read, Recite, and Write Free Verse Poems by JoAnn Early Macken [J 808.1 MAC].

This slim volume is packed with practical advice for kids and includes plenty of examples. The layout is colorful and bright and invites the reader to pick and choose what pages to read, rather than require that one go through the book sequentially.

A feature of the book are sections within each chapter, which are explained by the author thusly:
Literature Links explore the tools that all types of literature use.

Poetry Pointers explain the parts that are special to poetry.

Thinking Aloud sections include discussion questions, brainstorming tips, graphic organizers, and examples of students' writing.

Now It's Your Turn! gives you tips on how to weite your very own free verse poems.

It's a book worth exploring for children and adults! I particularly liked the Poetry Pointers section that explains enjambment, since it is a term that I've wrestled with for years!

Head over to Random Noodling for today's Poetry Friday Round-Up.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring JoAnn's book -- and Happy Blog Birthday! Meow meow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jama. It's hard to believe it's been 5 times a week for 8 years! It makes me exhausted just thinking about it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes! Thank you from me, too! I had such fun working on this series--I'm glad to hear it's helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I enjoyed reading it. I'll have to pick up the others in series.

      Delete
  3. This book sounds like it hits just the right sweet spot for children-- fun, interesting, accessible. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the Alachua County Library District catalog, but they don't have it. As a resident, Michelle, I think you should place a Suggest Materials request or, place an interlibrary loan request. (I'm sure you know all this already, but, I can't let an opportunity go by in which I can educate the public about libraries!)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good one. Congratulations on eight years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to read about JoAnn's book and the Poet's Workshop series here. I'm sure teachers welcome kid-friendly resources for writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete