Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Poetry Friday--Appreciate a Dragon Day!


According to the Days of the Year website, today is Appreciate a Dragon Day.
The dragon is a powerful symbol in mythology all over the world, from Europe to Asia and beyond. Appreciate A Dragon Day encourages you to explore the cultural significance of the dragon in your society and history!
If you're looking for a dragon poem, you're in luck because we have plenty! The Dragons are Singing Tonight by Jack Prelutsky [J 811.54 PRE] and Eric Carle's Dragons Dragons & Other Creatures That Never Were [J 808.81 CAR] are places to start, as well as almost any general children's anthology.

The following is from a beautifully illustrated (by Julie Paschkis) collection of poems by Julie Larios, Imaginary Menagerie: A Book of Curious Creatures [J 811.54 LAR].
Dragon

The air around me
burns bright as the sun.
I tell wild rivers
which way to run.
I'm arrow tailed,
fish scaled,
a luck bringer.
When I fly,
it's a flame song the world sings,
But you can ride safely
between my wings.

The Poetry Friday Round-Up is taking place this week at Live Your Poem...with Irene Latham.

"Der Teufel und seine Grossmutter." (1912), courtesy NYPL Digital Gallery.

11 comments:

  1. Love reading Julie's poem here! SUCH a great book, all arrow tailed and fish scaled... our youngest son was born Year of the Dragon, so I have had my eye out for dragon art/poetry for 15 years now. :) Thank you for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I find other dragon poems, I'll pass them along to you.

      Delete
  2. I love dragons - and dragon poems, too! I love the line 'it's a flame song the world sings'. So rich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my favorite line, too.

      Delete
  3. Julie's poem is wonderful! The ending is "whew!" after the intimidating excitement of the rest of it.
    And the expression on that dragon's face! :-) Thanks for bringing "Appreciate a Dragon Day" to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the dragon fun! It is from a Grimm's tale, The Dragon (or the Devil) and his Grandmother. This dragon looks like it could be a grandmother scolding and wagging her finger at some "bad boys."

      Delete
  4. What an honor to see my poem up on the Kurio Kabinet page, Kurious Kitty! Today is also, curiously, National Nothing Day, created in 1973 by newspaperman Harold Pullman Coffin. With a name like "Coffin," maybe doing nothing feels perfectly natural...? Happy Appreciate a Dragon Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny, Julie!

      Delete
  5. Every day is a celebration of Nothing Day if you do nothing to celebrate. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I missed Appreciate a Dragon Day! Oh well, next year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to take note so I don't miss "Appreciate a Dragon Day" again next year! Thanks also to Julie for the safety tip.

    ReplyDelete