Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Poetry Friday--Beatles Poetry

A little bit of Beatles trivia: on this day in 1969, the Beatles played their last concert together as the Beatles. It took place on the roof of Apple Studios in London. The story goes, the neighbors complained of the noise, and called the police!

We have many of the Beatles CDs in our collection. And, if you read the lyrics to the songs, you may be inclined to think of them as poetry. That's easy enough to do with the many rhyming songs, but how about lyrics that don't rhyme?

Since the music to many Beatles songs is a part the American psyche, I thought I'd share the lyrics to a song that may be a little less familiar, tune-wise.
Across the Universe
by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me
Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes
They call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box
They tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe
Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my open ears
Inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on, across the universe
Jai Guru Deva OM

Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva
Jai Guru Deva

So, what do you think?

Here's the song with the music:



You'll find "Across the Universe" on Let It Be [CD ROCK BEA], the last of the Beatles original albums.

Paul (not the Beatle) at These 4 Corners is the host for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up. Onward to February!



No comments:

Post a Comment