Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, February 13, 2015

Poetry Friday--Love Poems


The following beauty of a poem is by Nikki Giovanni, from a slim volume titled, Love Poems [811.54 GIO]. I think it's a perfect poem for tomorrow!
You Are There

i shall save my poems
for the winter of my dreams
i look forward to huddling
in my rocker with my life
i wonder what i'll contemplate
lovers--certainly those
i can remember
and knowing my life
you'll be there

you'll be there in the cold
like a Siamese on my knee
proud purring when you let me stroke you

you'll be there in the rain
like an umbrella over my head
sheltering me from the damp mist

you'll be there in the dark
like a lighthouse in the fog
seeing me through troubled waters

you'll be there in the sun
like coconut oil on my back
to keep me from burning

i shall save a special poem
for you to say
you always made me smile
and even though i cried sometimes
you said i will not let you
down

my rocker and i on winter's porch
will never be sad if you're gone
the winter's cold has been stored
against
you will always be
there

Happy Valentine's Day to all! Make time to visit Merely Day by Day where Cathy will be rounding up this week's collection of poetry posts.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful offering for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a whole lot packed into this one small poem--love, trust, comfort, memory, etc.

      Delete
  2. Grateful the memories are always there to help us through tough times. Thank you for sharing this poem of comfort.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cathy!

      Delete
  3. This is lovely, Diane, & it means a lot to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it spoke to you Linda!

      Delete
  4. Huddling... speechless. Now that's a love poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful images of love. So peaceful.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful images of love. So peaceful.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete