Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Life among Animals

Gerald M. Durrell would have been 90 this year if he had lived beyond 1995. He was a man who devoted his life to animals and conservation and he left behind Durrell Wildlife Park, which he founded in 1958 on the Channel Island of Jersey.

I first encountered one of Durrell's nonfiction books back when I was in high school. I loved it and I purchased his many other titles and read them all. My favorite book, during that period, was the memoir, My Family and Other Animals. I thought it was hilarious--and who can't use a good laugh?

The book was adapted for a Masterpiece Theatre presentation about 10 years ago, and we have the DVD in our collection. I highly recommend it!


If you are interested in the plight of endangered animals, I suggest exploring www.durrell.org, especially the pages devoted to the Durrell Index.

No comments:

Post a Comment