Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, May 15, 2015

Poetry Friday--"Blossoms"

Photo by Diane Mayr, taken in front of the Library a week ago while in full blossom.

Kurious Kitty is off today, but, you still need a Poetry Friday poem, right? Here's a small seasonal poem found in The Oxford Book of Children's Verse in America, chosen and edited by Donald Hall [J 811 OXF]:
Blossoms
by Frank Dempster Sherman (1860-1916)

Out of my window I could see
But yesterday, upon the tree,
The blossoms white, like tufts of snow
That had forgotten when to go.

And while I looked out at them, they
Seemed like small butterflies at play,
For in the breeze their flutterings
Made me imagine them with wings.

I must have fancied well, for now
There's not a blossom on the bough,
And out of doors it is raining fast,
And gusts of wind are whistling past.

With butterflies it is etiquette
To keep their wings from getting wet,
So, when they knew the storm was near,
They thought it best to disappear.

Visit me at my personal blog, Random Noodling, for the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

8 comments:

  1. Oh! What a beautiful poem. I had not come across this before but simply adore it. I love the use of simile here and love imagining the blossoms as butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Sally!

      Delete
  2. I love the second stanza for I would have never seen blossoms as butterflies. I love poetry because of these little unexpected surprises. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the surprises, too! Here's my favorite lines:

      With butterflies it is etiquette
      To keep their wings from getting wet

      Delete
  3. Diane, this poem reminds me of the flight of blossoms from my new serpentine tree that was planted last spring. I do so love the white flowers that bloom but the spring wind whisked in and my beautiful tree in bloom became a fleeting sight. I am wondering if you would be interested in writing a poem to accompany your photo of the tree in full bloom for Spring's Symphony Gallery that I am designing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Carol, thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Diane for joining in the new gallery, Spring's Symphony. I look forward to receiving your poem/photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of the "old-fashioned," but sometimes it hits the spot. : )

    ReplyDelete