Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, June 05, 2015

Poetry Friday--It's National Donut Day!

Donut. Quick--what pops into your head? For me it's a jelly donut. For some, most likely those who live in New England, it might be apple cider donuts at the local orchard. For others it could be a date at a donut shop, or "The Doughnut," a story in Robert McCloskey's Homer Price [J MCC].


Donuts have a long--they donuts arrived with the Pilgrims--and proud--think of the "donut girls" of the two world wars--history.

With the proliferation of Dunkin' Donuts and other chain shops, donuts may have lost their status as a special treat, which is sad.

Since it is Poetry Friday, and since it is National Donut Day, I'll put the regrets aside and offer a non-caloric donut treat:



We have this song on A Twinkle in Your Eye by Burl Ives [CD CHILDREN IVE].

Here's one that I used to sing as a kid, having learned it at camp when I was about 8 years old. I remember the opening lines as, "Oh, I went to Toledo, and I walked around the block, and I walked right into a bakery shop."



Instead of the closing line, "Thanks for the donut, so long!" we sang, "Shave and a haircut--two bits." What that had to do with a donut I'll never know. A version of "The Donut Song" can be found in The Complete Book of Rhymes, Songs, Poems, Fingerplays, and Chants compiled by Jackie Silberg and Pam Schiller [372.6 COM]. It comes with a CD.

Who knows, if you head over to Buffy's Blog for the Poetry Friday Round-Up, you may find more donut-related verse!

7 comments:

  1. I learned this song with the shave and a haircut ending too (probably at summer camp in Massachusetts.) Thanks for all the donut fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard either of these songs! They should have been playing in Dunkins when I arrived for my free donut today! I laughed at the "hole in the middle of the five cent piece!" A five yen coin does have a hole in the middle! Love the Homer illustrations. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't heard either? My what a sheltered life you've led! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the fun post, Matt. I never got to the donut shop on Friday, but in about an hour I'll be going to breakfast at a place the specializes in apple fritters. Should make up for my Friday negligence, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh. Don't know why I thought I was on Matt's blog, Diane. Maybe it's still too early – or maybe my brain is the one filled with jelly.

      Delete
    2. No problem, Michelle! It's nice to get visitors, even jelly-brained ones!

      Delete