Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Poetry Friday--Poisoned Apples


Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty by Christine Heppermann [YA 811.6 HEP] came out last October and garnered starred reviews and praise. A review in The Horn Book, starts off with, "For this poet, there is no dividing line between fairy tales and reality" and ends, "These poems dwell fiercely and angrily within the visual and verbal cacophony heard and seen by girls, offering an acerbic critique, mourning, and compassionate, unrelenting honesty."

Wow! Sounds pretty heavy, doesn't it? Believe me, it is! Here's one of the 50 short poems that are included in this collection:
Light as a Feather,
Stiff as a Board


There was already enough dark magic
at those slumber parties. Still we played
the game: You are riding the bus
or You are crossing the street
or You are walking through the park,
and then
the brakes failed,
the lightning struck,
Your killer drags you down into the leaves....

My friends chanted and slipped
a few fingers under my corpse.
If the spell worked, my soul was gone;

I was light as a feather, stiff as a board,
drifting high above their heads.

If not, they laughed and dropped me.

One of the mysteries of adolescent--how can your friends, those you've trusted, simply drop you--captured so well! And, on different levels.

Today my friend Mary Lee is hosting the Round-Up at A Year of Reading!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa. Haven't gotten around to reading this one, yet. Must remedy that this summer! I remember those light as a feather, stiff as a board moments well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This collection is so powerful, Diane. I have shared it with both my girls, one a teenager and the other on the cusp. Thanks for featuring it today. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! Although sometimes I like honesty that relents a little bit...

    ReplyDelete