Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Poetry Friday--"Dawn Revisited"


If you've never read Rita Dove's On the Bus With Rosa Parks: Poems [811 DOV] then you are in for a treat! I'm going to share a poem from the collection that is stunningly simple, yet life affirming.
Dawn Revisited

Imagine you wake up
with a second chance: The blue jay
hawks his pretty wares
and the oak still stands, spreading
glorious shade. If you don't look back,

the future never happens.
How good to rise in sunlight,
in the prodigal smell of biscuits--
eggs and sausage on the grill.
The whole sky is yours

to write on, blown open
to a blank page. Come on,
shake a leg! You'll never know
who's down there, frying those eggs,
if you don't get up and see.

I can hear that noisy jay. I can smell the sausages sizzling. I want to race down to the kitchen--don't you? We all need a second chance, but we have to be willing to give ourselves that chance before anyone else will.

Have a great weekend, but before you race off to the beach or the woods, stop by Keri Recommends for the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I can smell those eggs, see that blue sky and hear that blue jay. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too! What a great invitation to a new day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is delightful, Diane, new to me. I always think there is a second chance when I get up to greet the day. No sausages, but I remember those times at grandparents' homes. Thanks for reminding us to look at the morning with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is a wake up call! I love it, especially "in the prodigal smell of biscuits." I Googled "prodigal" to find a definition unfamiliar to me: in a literary sense, bounteous! Yes, biscuits in the morning would be bounteous at our house! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete