Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Poetry Friday--"Fireworks"


The Library is closed today, tomorrow, and Sunday, but I do have a poem for you today! It's not exactly a patriotic poem, but a good one to share nonetheless for Lowell's use of color and the description of fireworks.
Fireworks
by Amy Lowell

You hate me and I hate you
And we are so polite, we two!

But whenever I see you, I burst apart
And scatter the sky with my bursting heart.
It spits and sparkles in the stars and balls,
Buds into roses – and flares and falls.

Scarlet buttons, and pale green disks,
Silver spirals and asterisks,
Shoot and tremble in a mist
Peppered with mauve and amethyst.

I shine in the windows and light up the trees
And all because I hate you, if you please.

And when you meet me, you rend asunder
And go up in a flaming wonder
Of saffron cubes and crimson moons,
And wheels all amaranths and maroons.

Gold lozenges and spades
Arrows of malachites and jades,
Patens of copper, azure sheaves
As you mount, you flash in glossy leaves.

Such fireworks as we make, we two!
Because you hate me and I hate you.

The poem was published one hundred years ago in The Atlantic Monthly Magazine.

Stop by Mainely Write for this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up. Have a safe 4th of July and leave the fireworks to the experts!

Photo by Carol M. Highsmith courtesy Library of Congress.

12 comments:

  1. Not bad for a century old poem! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad at all. Amy Lowell is a favorite. And "Balls" is my favorite Lowell poem: http://kuriouskitty.blogspot.com/2011/08/poetry-friday-amy-lowell.html.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! If only such antipathy were this lovely in real life. :-0 I agree, her use of color is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, Diane, could be written today, couldn't it? I love that second stanza, "scatter the sky with my bursting heart". Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh! I just LOVE this poem! " My fav - silver spirals and asterisks"! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, do I love her work. And this one is new to me. Thanks for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that this sounds like a poem that could have been written today - amazing! I love the lines "...go up in a flaming wonder / Of saffron cubes and crimson moons, / And wheels all amaranths and maroons." Thanks for posting it, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinated by the fact that this poem is from the Victorian times: The line that resonates with me is "But whenever I see you, I burst apart/And scatter the sky with my bursting heart."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's intense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with several others. It's hard to believe that this poem wasn't written yesterday. Much more intense than Valerie Worth's poem about fireworks, which is one I considered posting yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! I wonder why so many of us have missed this poem along the way? It's not like there are a million and one fireworks poems! --KK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add me to the list of those who missed this fresh, new, 100-YEAR-OLD poem. What a great perspective!

    ReplyDelete