Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, August 14, 2015

Poetry Friday--"I Carry the Sun in My Pocket"

Last week I shared a poem, written for adults, from the current U. S. Poet Laureate, Juan Felipe Herrera. Today, I'm sharing one written for young people. Herrera writes for both children and adults, and does each equally well. Laughing Out Loud, I Fly: Poems in English and Spanish [YA 811.54 HER] is a small volume (no bigger than a hand) that should appeal to young adults. It's also great for a Spanish language student to be able to read a poem in Spanish and to find the translation next to it.

The following poem is full of colorful images of foods and nature, which I hope appeals to you as much as it appeals to me!


The cover art and interior illustrations are by Karen Barbour. Here's the angel that flies off the back cover!


Heidi is hosting the Round-Up today at My Juicy Little Universe.

14 comments:

  1. The closing lines of this poem are so powerful, Diane. And that angel -- so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mama is away in the city without sparrows." That line just tears me up. A life without birds is a sad one indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Like Diane, I teared up at the line "Mama is away in the city without sparrows." What a wonderful way of saying so much about Mama's absence, and about the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem and picture....I love all the words, but especially "my words pouring with flavor ..." Thanks for sharing this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, flavor! Pineapple--slightly sweet, slightly astringent.

      Delete
  5. Such rich imagery! I'm sharing this one with my students, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to hear their discussions.

      Delete
  6. "the one that names me like a juanito tree" -- I love that so much! Thank you for sharing, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought "juanito tree" might really exist as a popular name for a local tree, but alas, a Google image search yielded nothing.

      Delete
  7. So beautiful. A treat for all the senses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this resource, Diane. I am sharing it at one of my PD sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I teach at a school that is 98% Latino and am always looking for new authors and poems. I know this poet, but not this book. And I love the run-on quality of this poem and think our middle schoolers will like it too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a collector of suns. This poem is a good illustration of why– warmth, comfort, happy-making.

    ReplyDelete