Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Monday, August 24, 2015

POTUS Picks

Last week President Obama released his Spotify playlist, read about it here.

I joined Spotify a number of years ago. I quickly unsubscribed myself due to the huge number of emails and FB messages I started to receive. But, as I said, it was a while ago and I assume if I had paid for the premium services I would not have been inundated. Still, I'm not interested in resubscribing, but I am interested in the POTUS's playlist.

Here at the library, we have CDs on which the individual titles can be found. The President recommends Al Green's cover of the Bee Gees' "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart." Green's version is on The Absolute Best [CD SOUL GRE]. Several other cover versions are available for you to compare: Michael Bublé's on the self-titled, Michael Bublé [CD MALE VOCALIST BUB], Ruben Studdard's on Soulful [CD MALE VOCALIST STU], and Diana Krall's on Quiet Nights [CD JAZZ KRA].

Another recommended title is "The Very Thought of You" by Billie Holiday, which is found on Billie Holiday Sings the Great American Songbook [CD JAZZ HOL]. If you use "The Very Thought of You" as your search term in our catalog, you'll find versions by Natalie Cole, Harry Connick, Etta James, Paul McCartney (in a duet with Tony Bennett), Aaron Neville, Rod Stewart, and Cassandra Wilson!


The POTUS list includes some great "classics" such as "Moondance" by Van Morrison found on Moondance [CD ROCK MOR], "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones on Let It Bleed [CD ROCK ROL], and "Flamenco Sketches" by Miles Davis on Kind of Blue [CD JAZZ DAV].

For us here at the Library, the list will also be good for finding artists we may have missed along the way! The Lumineers are one example.

Put on your earbuds and rock along with the POTUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment