Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Songs in a Minor Key

I must say, my knowledge of the mechanics of music is limited at best. When someone says a song in a minor key, I go, "huh?"

A young musician, Chase Holfelder, has taken it upon himself to redo famous songs in minor keys. He records them and they are available on YouTube. It has been noted, by others who understand these things, that the change results in songs that take on a sad or eerie tone. This holiday season, the altered song I've been seeing on Facebook is "All I Want For Christmas Is You," by Mariah Carey. Here is Holfelder's version:



Here is Mariah Carey's "live" and livelier version:



I don't know about you, but I think if the tempo of the minor key version were speeded up somewhat, then the song would lose much of its creepiness. What do you think?


Many people love the original version, and, we have it available in the movie Love Actually [DVD LOV] and on Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas and Merry Christmas II You albums [both CD HOLIDAY CAR]. New this year is a picture book version illustrated by Colleen Madden [JP CAR].





No comments:

Post a Comment