Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, January 29, 2016

Poetry Friday--"Rain, Snow, and Other Weather"


We have a book in our young adult section titled, Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25, selected by Naomi Shihab Nye [YA 811.608 TIM]. The book was published in 2010, so I imagine several, if not all the poets are now approaching the big three-oh. No matter, their poems of youth live on and continue to speak to readers.

The poem for today is from that anthology, and is by Lauren Stacks, who, if we are to believe her website, now identifies herself as a novelist.
Rain, Snow, and Other Weather

I’m like the weather, never really can predict
when this rain cloud’s gonna
burst; when it’s the high or it’s
the low, when you might need a light jacket.

Sometimes I’m the slush that sticks
to the bottom of your work pants,
but I can easily be the melting snowflakes
clinging to your long lashes.

I know that some people like:

sunny and seventy-five,
sunny and seventy-five,
sunny and seventy-five,

but you take me as I am and never
forget to pack an umbrella.

How affirming and accepting! This poem is also perfect for the weird winter we're having. We never quite know what to expect weather-wise, but we know it's always safe to carry an umbrella.

Bring your umbrella when you visit Catherine at Reading to the Core!

6 comments:

  1. Predictability is a double-edged sword, I think. A little day-to-day variation is a good thing. It's those catastrophic events I can do without. Thank you for sharing this thought-provoking poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right about predictability, Catherine!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for showcasing this poem that is interesting in its content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it, Carol. For those of us waaaay over the age of 25, it's amazing to see how much one's perspective can change!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabatha, if I recall, your comment had something to do with adolescence and when I saw it briefly I said, "Exactly right!"

      Delete