Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Poetry Friday--Poetry Out Loud


Beginning next week, students in the fifty states will begin the final rounds of the Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest for 2016. The finals in our state, New Hampshire, will take place on March 21.

If you're wondering about the poems included in the contest, we have a copy of The Anthology: Poems for Poetry Out Loud: National Recitation Contest. Students must pick poems from the "more than 100 celebrated poems that are suitable for performance." The Anthology is also found here. The online pages also include additional sanctioned poems.


Here's an example of a poem from The Anthology:
My Grandmother’s Love Letters
by Hart Crane

There are no stars tonight
But those of memory.
Yet how much room for memory there is
In the loose girdle of soft rain.

There is even room enough
For the letters of my mother’s mother,
Elizabeth,
That have been pressed so long
Into a corner of the roof
That they are brown and soft,
And liable to melt as snow.

Don't you wish you had written this? Read the rest here.

Last year's New Hampshire champion, Dessaline Etienne, represented us in the National Finals:



Kimberley is this week's Round-Up host, she hangs out at Written Reflections!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kindness in making it easy to access the Poetry Out Loud Anthology! I suspect that I will indulge myself in enjoying (& over-dramatizing) many of the poems--when no one else is home this weekend. Many thanks! God bless you. p.s. Are you involved with the contest? Lucky students if you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not involved, but our high school has participated in the past.

      Delete
  2. Oh it would be interesting to read my great great grandmother's love letters - reputed to have four lovers when she landed in the Philippines from Spain. Thanks for sharing information about this anthology - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should write a novel, Myra, and make up your own letters!

      Delete
  3. Amazing poem. I was hoping Dessaline would read it to us, but that would have been too much of a coincidence, wouldn't it? Poetry Out Loud is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been nice, wouldn't it!

      Delete
  4. I always dream that I find my grandparents' love letters or an old journal. I think learning about someone through their letters would be so intimate. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was working on a WW II homefront project, someone brought in letters an aunt had received from a loved-one in the service. It was very intimate, but also very matter-of-fact, "today we sat around waiting for the rain to stop..." and stuff like that.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Grandmother's Love Letters is a gorgeous poem and yes, I absolutely wished I had written it. I love Dessaline's interpretation of WEIGHING IN. I think high school kids would like poetry a whole, whole lot better if we approached it from a performance perspective. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I would love to watch a Poetry Out Loud competition some day.

    ReplyDelete