Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Moby Dick Out Loud!

Do you like listening to audio versions of books? I do. I always have two books going at once. One, a regular print copy is on my nightstand, and the second is an audio in the car. You'd be surprised how many additional books I read in this way!

"Dutch Whalers near Spitsbergen" by Abraham Storck (1690), courtesy The Athenaeum.

If I were still in school and assigned to read Moby Dick by Herman Melville [F MEL], I know I could get through it on audio like the one we own here at the library [AB/CD MEL]. In high school, reading the print version was an arduous task. I probably would enjoy it today because the audio version gives a feel for the language of the time. Plus, I have a more extensive knowledge of the historical era than I had as a teen.

If you enjoy listening to audio books, you may enjoy a new recorded version of Moby Dick that is available for free online. The best part of it is there are multiple readers. The readers include Benedict Cumberbatch, Tilda Swinton, Stephen Fry, Sir David Attenborough, and more! To listen, click here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment