Looking for a book, DVD, CD, or other item? Search our catalog!

Friday, March 18, 2016

Poetry Friday--World Poetry Day Is Coming!

Monday, March 21, has been declared World Poetry Day by the United Nations. What a great idea! We have a small, but growing, collection of poetry from around the world. Today, let's combine World Poetry Day with Women's History Month and take a look at a book of women's poetry from around the world.

Voices of Light: Spiritual and Visionary Poems by Women around the World from Ancient Sumaria to Now, edited by Aliki Barnstone [808.81 VOI]. Since the book was published in 1999, "now" is no longer now, but that's a minor point. There are more than 100 poets arranged chronologically beginning with Enheduanna (ca. 2300 BCE). Enheduanna, according to Wikipedia,
was the daughter of king Sargon of Akkad and High Priestess of the moon god Nanna (Sin) in the Sumerian city-state of Ur. She was the first known holder of the title "En Priestess", a role of great political importance that was often held by royal daughters.

Poets represented come from Canada, China, England, India, Japan, Kashmir, the U. S. and many more locations. Here is a Spanish song by "Anonymous" from the 15th-16th centuries. I think it may surprise you!
Since I'm a Girl

Since I'm a girl
I want fun.
It won't help God
for me to be a nun.
Since I'm a girl
with long hair,
they want to dump me
in a convent.
It won't help God
for me to be a nun.
Since I'm a girl,
I want fun.
It won't help God
for me to be a nun.

translated by Willis Barnstone

And following that, there's nowhere to go but here:



And from Cyndi Lauper you should head over to see Robyn at Life on the Deckle Edge for the Poetry Friday Round-Up.


7 comments:

  1. Smiling here. Makes ya glad to be a girl, don't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me glad to be able to dance!

      Delete
  2. Well, that's a musical pairing that Tabatha would approve of, I'm sure. Thanks again for the heads' up about WORLD POETRY DAY! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been on an 80s kick at the library today--we've listened to Cyndi Lauper, Tears for Fears, the B-52s, Boy George, and more!

      Delete
  3. My husband loves Cyndi and this is one of my favorite songs. The video is really funny, what with the hairdos and parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so energetic, too! I get exhausted just watching!

      Delete
  4. Girls just want to have fun! Puddle-stomping! LOL Great post. I like the combination of Women's History Month and World Poetry Day. Love Cyndi, never fails to make me feel like dancing.

    ReplyDelete